Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lots of things to think about...

Alot has taken place in the past three weeks, since I have last blogged, but the one that has been at the forefront of my (and many PCVs in Morocco) mind is the effect that recent protests in Tunisia, Egypt, and other Middle Eastern countries will have on Moroccan citizens. A month ago, I found myself excited to hear about the protests that thousand of people in the Middle East and North Africa were having regarding seeming government disregard for high unemployment rates (even among the highly educated), corruption, and dictatorship. As people risked their lives to peacefully and forcibly demand change, I was inspired. However, I have come to realize that what I have seen in other countries, through the little bits of news that I can see and understand from Arabic news reports that are televised in cafes in major cities, that if the Moroccan people also stand up against the corruption (which I see first hand on a weekly basis) or the lack of jobs for the increasing population of educated young adults...then my time in this wonderful country could be limited.

No country is perfect and coming to Morocco has helped me see the U.S. through a new lense, however I am shocked and conflicted by the fact that my support for citizen-led protests against the government (sidenote: more information on the type of government that Morocco has in the below article) has been curbed due to the fact that any violence that could possibly come from it could mean that all PCV are evacuated from country. It isn't an easy decision for Peace Corps to make when they evacuate, but we have been asked (as we always are) to be on constant alert and be prepared to leave our site at anytime. Peace Corps Morocco has a detailed and advanced emergency action plan, which can be enacted for political or environmental events (such as the earthquakes or civil unrest that could negatively affect PCVs). Although I know it is all routine, the thought of having to leave when I am still establishing who I am and what I can give to my community...its helped me be more introspective. It's also helped me put a more personal face to the people that have to live within a country that is literally fighting it's government for freedom.

Not having a tv (or consistent internet) has been extremely frustration, especially when I'm hungry to learn as much as possible about the evolving revolutions in the countries near Morocco. However, as I talk with friends and neighbors, I'm reminded that they are very much up to date on what is happening and they see the protests, the deaths, the brutality, and the liberation as more than just a news story. They see it as the victory or defeat of fellow Muslims (brothers and sisters).

Morocco is not the same as Tunisia or Egypt. Morocco has a king and a parliament. The king is loved by a majority of the population, as is shown by people's loyalty to the king and the crowds of people that come to welcome him wherever they go. Most of the country's problems seem to be blamed on the parliament, from my interpretation. Although Morocco experiences corruption in many of it's government sectors (the top two being the judicial and health system), the strong (relatively speaking) economy and literacy rates play a crucial role in whether Morocco will have similar uprisings as it's neighbors to the East.

Nonetheless, I'm still here (safe and sound) on my mountaintop, trying to take in history as it happens and learn from it at the same time. No one knows what the future may bring for the people and government of Morocco (which is intertwined with my fate in Morocco) but time will tell.

BBC has a few short articles on the peaceful protests that occurred throughout the country on Sunday. One is listed below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12518116

Thousands of people have marched in Moroccan cities to demand that King Mohammed VI give up some of his powers.

In the capital, Rabat, police allowed protesters to approach parliament, chanting slogans like "The people reject a constitution made for slaves!"

A separate protest is under way in the country's biggest city, Casablanca, and another was planned in Marrakesh.

Protests have spread across the region since popular movements in Tunisia and Egypt forced out leaders.

Sunday's rallies in Morocco are organised by groups including one calling itself the February 20 Movement for Change.

More than 23,000 people have expressed their backing for its Facebook site.

The protesters have not called for the removal of King Mohammed, but for a new constitution curbing his powers.

"This is a peaceful protest to push for constitutional reform, restore dignity and end graft," said Mustapha Muchtati of the Baraka (Enough) group, one of the organisers behind the protest.

Moroccan Finance Minister Salaheddine Mezouar had urged people not to march, warning that any "slip may, in the space of few weeks, cost us what we have achieved over the last 10 years".

No comments:

Post a Comment