Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy February!

Todays marks the 11th months I have spent away from home. Almost a year ago (on March 1st) I said goodbye to family and freiends, packed way more than the allotted 80 lbs of luggage into two suitcases, and drove to Philadelphia with my mother and granmother to start my official first day of work with the Peace Corps. The real stuff didn't come until I arrived in country and settled into my host family's house in Ouarzazate Province, but it's been a whirwind of a journey. I've moved into two host families' house, rented my own (current) house, adopted two cats, gotten sick, made friends (Moroccans and PCVs), travelled to some of the major cities, planned health lessons, gotten into countless arguements (some just heated discussions) about religion, have helped to weed DOZENS of fields (corn, wheat, everything under the moroccan sun), have killed eight scorpions, have gotten bed bugs, made friends in my community (made a few enemies too), impressed my neighbors with my tajine-making skills, planned some successful (and some not-so successful project), hiked with nomads, fallen off my bike countless times, have fallen into irrigation ditches (most recently on Sunday), helped planned HIV/STD outreach, attended weddings, decorated my home with Christmas decorations (with a Moroccan touch, thanks to my neighbors)....and that's only the first 11 months.

Works is really starting to pick up now. I feel more at ease with my language (although the more you know, the more you realize how LITTLE you know). I'm nervous and excited for the spring because these will truly be the defining months of my service. May 5 marks a year in my site (it's so close) and that will also be the weekend of the huge 3 day HIV/STD outreach event at a local festival. Last year PCVs (in collaboration with a ton of Moroccan associations) tested over 500 people for HIV/STDS and coordinated Moroccan volunteers who outreached to over 2000 people. Big shoes to fill, but it should be a great way to celebrate my time here.

There's alot that's coming up in the spring. So much to look forward to:
-Volunteer Support Network Trainings and meetings (I am the representative for our stage)
-Mid-service Medicals in Rabat...where we get poked and pricked to make sure we don't have any dormant (or not so dormant) medical conditions, such as parasites or worms
-Earth Day (hopefully many activities will follow)
-The beginning of the health club at the college/middle school
-Many potential projects surrounding women's literacy and a safe space for women to work and meet
-Health lessons in school (the usual)
-Travelling to Northern Morocco...and more!

Today marks the beginning of a two day meeting in Southern Morocco for health volunteers (yeah, we do seem to have quite a bit of meetings lately, but now is a good time to brainstorm about regional projects and collaboration).

Until I get back home and can process everything. Here are some pictures to look at, from my last 11 months in country. I was unsuccessful (to date) at post them via slideshow on the blog. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ayanna_k_williams/

1 comment:

  1. congratulations on your 11 months! here's to another productive year.

    ReplyDelete