Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Communication

I just wanted to say a few quick words about my communication in Morocco. Now that I am finally settled in my lovely site, I have been able to establish a more routine schedule. As many of you know, I do have a Moroccan cell phone, which was basically mandated by Peace Corps so that I can get in touch with them/vice versa in the case of a medical emergency, if an important message needs to be sent, or if someone is just checking in with me. The cell phone coverage in country is very good…about 95% of Morocco is covered by a cell phone network. Although cell phone companies often offer internet services in areas where they are covered, I have not looked into potential internet access in my site (for several reasons).
1.) I don’t have a yearning to check my email or the web everyday. It has been a huge relief to be able to spend more time having personal interactions with people or receiving snail mail from family/loved ones.
2.) I am afraid that internet access (if it is possible at my future house) may hinder my community integration…forcing me to spend more time on gchat or downloading tv shows…then working on my language or learning about the everday lives of my neighbors and friends
3.) Internet is expensive and I make enough to live, but not enough for the luxuries I am accustomed to in the States (which is fine by me)

Although I don’t have regular access to internet, I am in the closest town (it would be a stretch to call it a city) every Wednesday for my language tutoring sessions. There are internet cafes here and I am able to send emails, get updates, etc. So I hope to be able to update the blog on a more regular basis and respond to emails and mail (since there is a post office in this town) on a more regular basis.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO glad I got to talk to you on cellphone on Mother's Day while visiting your grandmother and my sister.
    Isn't technology wonderful???

    ReplyDelete